NSW Rape Crisis is a 24/7 telephone and online crisis counselling service for anyone in Australia who has experienced or is at risk of sexual violence, family or domestic violence and their non offending supporters.
Counselling for women who were sexually assaulted in childhood is also available from Women’s Health Centres across NSW.
Counsellors work in partnership with clients to expand their choices, facilitate healing and encourage personal growth.
The fundamental principles on which the service operates are that:
- Sexual assault, family and domestic violence are gendered crimes and a product of patriarchy.
- The responsibility for the offence always lies with the perpetrator.
- Sexual assault, family and domestic violence is a human rights abuse.
- The psychological injury resulting from sexual assault, family and domestic violence is based in trauma.
- Client self-determination and empowerment is critical to trauma recovery.
The service is accessible to anyone who is at risk of or has experienced sexual assault, family and/or domestic violence or who is supporting someone who experienced that violence.
NSW Rape Crisis asserts that it is every person’s human right to live their life free of violence and when violence occurs it is their right to receive compassionate, professional assistance in their recovery and full redress for the crime through the criminal justice system.